About Leading From Your Strengths
Leading From Your Strengths (LFYS) Profiles are personalized, detailed 20-page reports which accurately describe your individual habitual patterns of behavior, thought, emotion, and communication. They provide you with sophisticated, objective insights and action steps about your unique strengths – data you and your team can use immediately and long-term.
Profile reports are compiled and presented instantaneously after you or a team member completes a simple, 10-minute online questionnaire. Results are delivered immediately by email.
The questionnaire consists of 24 boxes. Each box contains four adjectives we call “descriptors.” The user reads each of the four descriptors and chooses which one describe what he is most like and least like.
It’s that simple.
The profile report
Although the profile questionnaire is quick and simple to complete, it provides sophisticated data in a 20-page report in the following sections:
Introduction: a detailed overview of the report contents.
Your Natural Strengths
- Your Natural Strengths Scales: a narrative explanation of the four scales used to measure your natural strengths: problem solving, processing information, managing change, and facing risk.
- Your Natural Strengths Chart: a visual picture in graph form representing your natural strengths in the four predictable areas: problem solving, processing information, managing change, facing risk.
- General Characteristics: a narrative summary which summarizes a broad understanding of your strengths.
- Value to the Team: a list of specific talents and strengths that you bring to a team.
- Do’s in Communicating: a checklist for others to use with you (or for you to specify to others) that outlines action steps they can take to communicate effectively with you.
- Don’ts in Communicating: a checklist for others to use with you (or for you to specify to others) that outlines communication methods that frustrate you or reduce your performance.
- Ideal Environment: a list of duties, responsibilities, and environments that allow you to flourish and those that may frustrate you.
Leading and Motivating
- Keys to Motivating: a list of what can motivate you, based on your wants and values.
- Keys to Leading: a list of what you need from a leader so that you can perform at your optimum level.
- Areas for Improvement: a list of your natural limitations or tendencies, allowing you to create an action plan for moving forward.
- Perceptions: a list of ways you see yourself and ways others see you.
Your Adapted Strengths
- Strengths Movement: a narrative explanation of strengths movement – the measure of how your current environment impacts your strengths positively and negatively.
- Strengths Movement Chart: a visual picture in graph form of both your natural strengths and the impact of your current environment on those strengths, presented in the four predictable areas: problem solving, processing information, managing change, facing risk.
- How Are You Having to “Adapt”?: a list of descriptions of how you may feel you need to respond to your current environment to be accepted.
- Natural and Adapted Style: a side-by-side comparison of your natural strengths style and your adapted style, revealing the stress and pressure you may feel when you adapt your natural style to your current environment.
- The Ministry Insights Strengths Wheel: a narrative and visual explanation that shows you and your team understand your collective strengths.
Why Use the Profiles?
Of all places, the Christian church should be a refuge from the relational battles that rage in our culture. But harmony and reconciliation are not flourishing in the body. Rather, today’s ministries and churches are routinely characterized by division – or at best, the status quo.
God’s plan offers something much better than that. He created every member of a team with unique strengths (1 Corinthians 12) … strengths that are meant to blend together to build His Kingdom.
Often leaders are unaware that the differences in their people actually represent enormous strengths. But once leaders recognize the need to pursue God’s plan for differences with their staffs and teams, the results are life-changing.
Here are just some of the reasons leaders like you have used Leading From Your Strengths profiles with their teams – with transformational results.
Ministry leaders struggle to have positive, productive relationships within their staff and among congregations as never before. But as conflicts deepen, fractured relationships lead to burnout. Here are some truths about what is happening in churches today:
- Each month, 1,600 pastors are terminated or forced to resign their pulpits.
- 50% of pastors have considered leaving the ministry in the last six months.
- 85% seminary graduates who enter full-time ministry will not survive in the ministry more than 5 years.
- 61% pastors admit that they “have few close friends.”
- Only 1 out of every 10 pastors will actually be in some form of professional ministry upon retirement.
- Leaders cite the number one reason they leave the church is conflict.
Sources: The Alban Institute, The Barna Group, The Fuller Institute, Pastoral Care, Inc., SBC LeaderCare Program, Sunscape Ministries of Colorado
“Genuine teamwork remains as elusive as it has ever been,” according to executive team development consultant Patrick Lencioni. “The foundational dysfunction is an absence of trust.” This lack of trust leads to fear of conflict. Christian ministries are not immune, but rather experience the same kinds of relational struggle as mainstream commercial enterprises.
- A recent study of 1,736 ministry leaders concluded one of their lowest-rated priorities is creating a healthy corporate culture.
- 40% of staff members in Christian organizations feel there is not a high level of trust between senior management and employees.
- 46% of workers in Christian organizations describe themselves as “neutral” or “unengaged.”
- 85% of leaders say their greatest problem is dealing with difficult people, such as disgruntled or uncooperative staff members, board members, and colleagues.
Sources: Best Christian Places to Work Institute, The Barna Group, Patrick Lencioni in “The Five Dysfunctions of a Team”
Ways To Use Profiles
Leading Form Your Strengths (LFYS) profiles allow leaders and teams to understand themselves, each other, and work more effectively together. After completing a simple individual online questionnaire, leaders and teams receive personalized reports which help them discover their God-given strengths. This objective, positive date allows teams to complete each other to build their ministry.
Here are practical steps you can take to use your team’s profile information to build a powerful, energizing environment in your team both short- and long-term.
Complete an individual questionnaire
Leaders often forget that they, too, are members of a team. By filling out the questionnaire, you will not only learn about yourself but you will also provide valuable information to team members about yourself. Fill out the profile questionnaire and read the resulting report. Note what you learn from it or how the report confirms what you already know. Review the action steps. See which ones you can implement right away.
Allow the people closest to you to read your report – not just those on your team, but also family members and close friends. Discuss it with them. Have them ask questions about the statements and descriptions provided. The profile is designed not only for your personal use, but for sharing.
Discover your team members’ strengths
Ask your team members to complete the profile questionnaire. Read their reports. Talk about the results with each person individually and ask for their input. Share your report with them. Challenge them to take one or two of their own action steps as soon as possible.
Learn more about the strengths movement
Read Leading From Your Strengths: Building Close-Knit Ministry Teams.
Learn how to apply profile report data
Download the free Leading From Your Strengths Workbook. Go through it on your own to gain deeper insights about your individual report. Ask team members to do the same.
Implement strengths principles as you lead
Take our free online Leadership Course to understand how to implement strengths principles into your leadership skill set.
Use profile report data as a team
Work through the Leading From Your Strengths Team Building Discovery Kit with your team. Identify which actions step to take as a team short-term and long-term.
Invite a LFYS certified practitioner to guide your team
Certified trainers are available worldwide to help you interpret and apply profile report results for you and your team.
When Leading From Your Strengths Profile data is implemented in both the immediate short-term and over time, it will direct you and your team into a whole new trajectory of working together using your individual and team strengths.
Leading From Your Strengths Workbook
The 16-page Leading From Your Strengths Workbook, a free download, is a self-paced manual that complements the Leading From Your Strengths Profile. The workbook helps you get the most out of your profile by walking you through every section of your personal report. Questions help you dig deeper into the most important personal information from the report and gain insight – so you can create goals to apply to your life and impact your ministry.
Download the Leading From Your Strengths Workbook.
How to Buy Leading From Your Strengths Profiles
Profiles (made up of an online questionnaire and subsequent report) can be purchased at this website using an email address and a valid credit card (Visa, Master Card, Discover, or American Express). Your personal information is safe through our secure shopping cart system. Take these steps:
- Click on “Add to Cart” at the right to select a profile or set of profiles.
- Fill out the online order form completely. Billing information needs to match the credit card’s billing address to complete your order.
- View and print your receipt displayed onscreen at the end of the checkout process. You’ll also receive a copy by email.
- Look in the email for your single-use password code, which you will use to complete your online profile assessment.
- Once you complete the online questionnaire (in 10 minutes or less), results will be delivered immediately to your inbox.
- Your credit card statement will show charges to Ministry Insights or Insights International.
Where to take the inventory
Profiles can be purchased and completed at anytime, from any Internet-connected computer in the world. Your results will be delivered immediately to your inbox.
How to purchase profiles for other people, such as members of your staff or team
When you purchase profiles online, you will receive a receipt for your complete purchase including the response codes and assessment website in an email titled Profile Fulfillment.
The email will include instructions for assigning each individual a code, including the assessment site address they can click on and a personalized response link (single-use response code) to use in order to complete the questionnaire. Recipients go to the website, enter their single-use password code, and complete the questionnaire. You will instruct each respondent individually by email.
How to order profiles in other languages
The Leading From Your Strengths profile is fully translated into Spanish, meaning both the online questionnaire and the profile results are available in Spanish. To choose this option, log onto the questionnaire website and select Spanish from the response language drop-down menu. Both your online questionnaire and profile results will be in Spanish. You, as purchaser, will receive the profile results in English. If you are both purchaser and respondent, you will receive two sets of results, one in English and one in Spanish.
The online questionnaire can be completed in more than 30 languages by simply selecting a different language option at the questionnaire website. However, profile results are provided only in English (or Spanish, if you so designate). View the available questionnaire languages at www.justrespond.com by clicking on the drop-down menu in the upper right corner.
What People Say About Leading From Your Strengths Profiles
“Prison Fellowship uses the Leading From Your Strengths profile and training materials for our Leadership Institute. We want to keep our focus on serving the Lord and advancing His Kingdom. We use LFYS to train our staff on solving problems before they surface, as a coaching tool to help resolve conflict with a ministry team, and placing staff in positions that match their strengths abilities.”
Charles W. Colson (1931-2012)
Special Counsel to President Richard Nixon; founder of Prison Fellowship, noted Christian leader and cultural commentator
“Past experiences with other tests made me skeptical of taking the assessment even though I like graphs and tests. Nevertheless, at the advice of my coach, I took the Leading From Your Strengths profile. I admit I think it is the real deal. The profile has helped me understand myself and even my place in the world better. I’ve been hardwired by God to be the way I am. The things about myself I used to think of as a kind of a curse I am now growing to understand as actual gifts, because God crafted me like this. I am learning to embrace my introversion as a strength and not a deficiency of some sort – a complete reversal from what I have felt all my life.“
“Demand for the Leading From Your Strengths profiles is really building in Australia. Last month I led a group of 20 with Arrow New Zealand and another group of 20 with World Vision Australia through the profile and team building process. People love the profiles. It brings me so much joy when people find their reports helpful and start applying the information straight away. What excites me most is that people feel empowered to then use the Team Building Kit with their own teams. I like it when people ask me, “Can you come and run this with my team?” to which I answer, “Yes I can, but why don’t you?”
Arrow Leadership, Australia
“I am very glad to endorse Ministry Insights and its Leading From Your Strengths profile as a powerful personality inventory tool.”
Dr. Dan Reinhardt, President
“Leading From Your Strengths assessment is like a breath of fresh air for finding your “place” in the world and for enriching ALL your relationships. The profile provides an awareness that helps us embrace our own personalities and the personalities of others in our sphere of influence. Thank you, Ministry Insights, for this treasure!”
Pam Taylor Level I Certified Life Coach
Loaves and Fishes Life Coaching
“I was blessed to use the Leading From Your Strengths assessments with 15 nationals in Beijing in the context of conflict resolution. This is a concept the Chinese don’t know how to verbalize. It is very important to “save face” and they go out of their way to avoid conflict. However, when we used the graphs to show them how God made them, it was liberating for them, especially as they viewed how they adapt to their environment. One pastor, in particular, was clearly frustrated and hurting in adapting to his environment. Through my interpreter, I told him that he may feel like he wasn’t effective but explained that it was his environment causing this tension. He started crying uncontrollably. As it turned out, his mission board had him as a church planter yet he was obviously an administrator as per his profile. God liberated that man that day. I cannot describe the look of relief and renewed passion I saw the next morning when he came back for class. He was a new man.”
Tom Anthony, Master Chaplain, T2 Ministries
Leading From Your Strengths Profile FAQs
Q. What’s the difference between Leading From Your Strengths Profiles and your other profile products?
A. Leading From Your Strengths (LFYS) Profiles are personalized, detailed 20-page reports which accurately describe your individual habitual patterns of behavior, thought, emotion, and communication. They provide you with sophisticated, objective insights and action steps about your unique strengths – data you and your team can use immediately and long-term. All Ministry Insights profile products draw upon the same principle: every person is uniquely gifted and contribute to his or her work environment, marriage, or family. Each profile set analyzes your one-of-a-kind personality information and equips you to use your strengths in that particular setting (Leading From Your Strengths Profiles in your work setting, Marriage Insights Profiles in your marriage, and Family Insights Profile in your family.)
Q. Can I purchase profiles for other people, such as members of my team?
Yes. When you purchase profiles online, you will designate an email delivery address (or addresses) on the order form. You will receive a receipt for your purchase onscreen. Simultaneously, an email is delivered to the address(es) you designate, which includes a web site address and a personalized response link (single-use password). Recipients go to the website, enter their personalized response link, and complete the process.
Q. Should our team fill out our questionnaires together?
A. No. You and your team members should fill out profile questionnaires individually.
Q. Can I take the profile questionnaire if I am not at my own computer?
Yes. Profiles can be completed at anytime, from any Internet-connected computer in the world. Your results will be delivered immediately to your inbox.
Q. Are the profiles available in other languages in addition to English?
Currently, the Leading From Your Strengths profile is the only profile product fully translated into Spanish, meaning both the online questionnaire and the profile results are available in Spanish. To choose this option, log onto the questionnaire website (www.justrespond.com), and select Spanish from the response language drop-down menu. Both your online questionnaire and profile results will be in Spanish; the purchasing agent for the profile will receive the profile results in English. If the purchasing agent is the respondent, he will receive two sets of results, one in English and one in Spanish.
The online questionnaire can be completed in more than 30 languages by simply selecting a different language option at the questionnaire website. However, profile results are provided only in English (or Spanish). View the available questionnaire languages at www.justrespond.com by clicking on the drop-down menu in the upper right corner.
Q. How should we use the profile reports?
A. Sharing your profile results with your team will become a great springboard to increased communication and understanding. After both of you have completed the questionnaire and received your personal profile report, set aside time to discuss the results. Download the Leading From Your Strengths Workbook. Go through it on your own to gain deeper insights about your individual report. Ask team members to do the same. Use the Leading From Your Strengths Team-Building Discovery Kit with your team. Identify which actions step to take as a team short-term and long-term.
Q. What is the difference between Leading From Your Strengths Profiles and Position Insights Profiles?
A. The Leading From Your Strengths Profile is a personalized, 20-page report that captures the strengths of an individual after that person fills out a 10-minute questionnaire. The Position Insights Profile is a 12-page report, completed by a recruiting team answering questions about the strengths demands for a job, which provides a clear and accurate picture of the behavioral demands of a specific job or position. (Learn more about Position Insights Profiles here.)
Read more Frequently Asked Questions on our Profile FAQs page.
Team Building Discovery Kit
The Leading From Your Strengths Team-Building Discovery Kit is the versatile and powerful turn-key curriculum that is designed to help you and your team better understand your unique strengths and how to blend and build those strengths.
- 10 one-hour training modules
- DVD teaching featuring Dr. John Trent and Rodney Cox
- Poster-sized LFYS “Strengths Wheel” to capture and compare your entire group’s strengths
- Discount codes for participants’ online assessments
- Audio book of Leading From Your Strengths
- Memory aids for future team growth
Note: 3-5 day delivery
On Sale $179.95 (Retail $249.00)
Click Here to Learn More
Position Insights Profile
Inviting the right people into ministry, whether paid or volunteer, can be one of the toughest challenges leaders, ministry teams and search committees face. To help you address that challenge, the Position Insights Profile will identify the strengths needed and what the demands of any position are before the recruiting process starts.
Note: Electronic codes are delivered instantly
Click Here to Learn More
Leading From Your Strengths – Building Close-knit Ministry Teams
This book incorporates the Leading From Your Strengths Profile and illustrates key leadership and team principles in a clear, informative and entertaining manner. You’ll gain a greater understanding of your unique God-given strengths, the strengths of others on your team and how you will benefit by blending those strengths.
Free Shipping $14.95
Click Here to Learn More